Agewell Foundation is a not-for-profit NGO, working for the welfare and empowerment of older persons across the country since 1999. Agewell has set up a two-tier network of over 7500 primary and 80000 secondary volunteers spread across 640 districts of India and interacts with over 25000 older persons on daily basis through its volunteers’ network.
Recognizing the work being done by Agewell Foundation ECOSOC has granted Special Consultative Status to Agewell Foundation at United Nations. It has been granted Associate NGO status by Department of Public Information, United Nations (UN-DPI). Agewell has also been member of Working Groups and Steering Committees on Social Sector for Xth, XIth and now the XIIth Five-Year-Plan of Planning Commission of India since 2002.
About This Cause
Agewell Foundation, India
Agewell Foundation is committed to make a coordinated effort with compassion and understanding to transform social attitudes towards senior citizens. The effort is to create the infrastructure to empower every older person.
Agewell has been set up to initiate better interaction between the generations. It endeavors to:
Bring about a change in perceptions about Old Age
Initiate steps towards senior citizens friendly environment
Evolve a sense of moral and social responsibility towards senior citizens
Advocate for the needs and rights of senior citizens
Extend a helping hand to senior citizens wherever required
Established in 1999, Agewell Foundation has been working for the welfare and empowerment of Senior Citizens. The main impetus being on about celebrating old age and creating awareness among society , their relatives and the community towards respecting our elders. The focus is being to initiate better interaction between generations.
It endeavors to bring about a change in our perceptions of Old Age. Agewell has set up a two-tier network of over 7500 primary and 80000 secondary volunteers spread across 640 districts of India and interacts with over 25000 older persons on daily basis through its volunteers’ network.
Highlights and Achievements
• The foundation has created a Pan India Helpline for the welfare of Old People. The Helpline receives a variety of calls ranging from issues of depression, to specific problems which could be legal, medical, financial, social or even inter-personal.
• The Foundation has built a network of over 7500 Primary and over 80,000 secondary dedicated volunteers spread across the 640 districts of India.
• Interaction with over 25,000 older persons daily across India. It has since inception, helped over 5 million older people.
• Recognizing the work being done by Agewell Foundation ECOSOC has granted Special Consultative Status to Agewell Foundation at United Nations in 2011.
• It has been granted Associate NGO status by Department of Public Information, United Nations (UN-DPI) in 2012.
• Participates in numerous United Nations Conferences including Working Sessions of “Open Ended Working Group on Ageing”. Several papers researched by Agewell are part of the agenda of these discussions and are listed on the United Nations official website.
• Associated with The Working Group and Steering Committee on Social Sector for Xth, XIth and now the XIIth Five Year Plan of the Government of India, hence involved in National Planning for the Aged since 2002.
• Undertaken extensive and comprehensive studies on the issues concerning the elderly through Agewell Research & Advocacy Centre. It has been involved in 17 National surveys of the Government on issues regarding Senior Citizens.
• The Foundation periodically holds seminars and publishes research papers and manuals on Needs & Rights of Older Persons.
• Launched an Employment Exchange for Older Persons. Over 45,000 persons have benefitted from this scheme.
• Medical Equipment Distribution Camps for destitute and elderly are organized from time to time. Over 5000 people have benefitted from this program in Delhi-NCR.
• Agewell “Share a Smile with your Elders” campaign aims to sensitize children towards the elderly. The Foundation has interacted with over 500,000 school children in the Delhi-NCR Region.
• Police Personnel too have been a part of this sensitizing program.
• Spread the Warmth Campaign during the winter months has assisted over 600,000 destitute and old people spread across Delhi.
The Objective of Agewell and its mission forward:
• Besides its huge team of volunteers, Agewell wants to create a network of dedicated people, across India, ensuring greater reach, commitment and more efficient assistance to Older People.
• Increasing the reach and number of people being helped by Agewell to over 300,000 every day.
• Create an Employment Exchange, providing not only employment opportunities to Senior Citizens but also being able to assist them in learning or improving requisite skill sets.
• Create a wider reach in the Sensitizing program, increase the efficiency of the Advocacy Centre etc.
Agewell Foundation at a Glance
• Special Consultative Status with ESOCOC, United Nations since 2011
• Accredited with United Nations Department of Public Information (UN-DPI) as an associate NGO
• Consortium of over 1500 NGOs spread across 620 districts of India
• Two-tier national voluntary network - 7500 primary & 80000 secondary volunteers
• Interaction with approx. 25000 older persons on daily basis
• 5 million+ older persons helped, 35000 assisted with jobs & 3490 Self -help groups
• Participated in Several United Nations Conferences including Working Sessions of Open Ended Working Group on Ageing with various capacities like Panelist etc.
• International association & alliance with Association of American Retired People (AARP), USA, Global Action on Ageing (GAA), USA, Seniors Together in South Lanarkshire (formerly known as Better Government for Older People - BGOP) UK, etc.
• Member , Working group on Reforming the Social Deviants and Caring the Other Disadvantaged, for XIIth, XIth and Xth Five-year-plan, Planning Commission, Govt. of India
• Member - Consultative group on Social Justice & Empowerment, Planning Commission
• Member Council of National Literacy Mission Authority, Ministry of HRD
• Member- Technical Advisory Committee, set up by UNFPA, ISEC & IEG
• Organized Series of Symposiums on Needs & Rights of Older Persons
• 17 National Surveys on issues concerning older people under Agewell Research & Advocacy Centre (for Needs & Rights of Older Persons)
Agewell’s Current Initiatives
• Agewell Helplines For Older Persons since 1999
• Agewell Research & Advocacy Centre For Needs & Rights Of Older Persons
• Agewell Eklavya- Employment Exchange For Older Persons
• Agewell Family Membership (For Old People Who Live Alone)
• Agewell Aadhar – Nationwide Volunteer Action Network
• Healthcare Training for bedridden older persons and their care-givers
• Medical Equipment Distribution Camps for destitute and elderly
• Agewell Share A Smile With Your Elders – School Contact Programme
• Dharohar Scheme (WILL Safekeeping)
• Spread the Warmth Campaign during winters
• Police Personnel Sensitization towards older persons
• “I Am Responsible” Campaign for school children sensitization towards old people