Founded by Smt Geeta Dharmarajan (Padm Shri) in 1989, Katha is a non-profit organization that for the last 31 years has been empowering children to become agents of change through quality education, teacher training, world-class book publishing and entrepreneurship training. Katha works in the slums of New Delhi to ensure that children from underprivileged backgrounds are able to receive the quality of education needed to build a better future for themselves and their families. We have an innovative, proven education model that makes learning a fun, creative experience for children and teachers alike. Katha’s programs have reached over 9.8 million underserved children through its various programs across many states. Katha has embarked on a major scale up plan to spread the joy of reading through its innovative model to reach children across India and abroad under the ‘300 Million Challenge’ (for more info- https://katha.org/300m/ )
About This Cause
Katha Books: Katha is a globally recognized publishing house. Katha’s beautifully illustrated, internationally acclaimed storybooks for children bring greater engagement in reading. Handpicked from Katha’s collection of 190+ children’s titles, sourced from India’s many regional languages, they help teachers tackle some of the most pressing issues of India. 124 Katha books have been recommended by CBSE and NCERT, two eminent national education bodies.
Katha Lab School, a community school established in 1990 in New Delhi, is Katha’s center for innovations in education. It offers high-quality education to approximately 1,500 children starting from 3-month to 17 year olds. Katha Lab School provides crèche, pre-school, primary, secondary and special needs education. The school achieves a 94% attendance rate, despite the fact that some children have to drop out because their families migrate. Moreover, over 96% of Katha’s Class 10th and 12th students pass their board exams, compared to a national average of below 40%. An external assessment by Ambedkar University shows that the Katha Lab School students perform at par with students from some private schools.
The school focuses on the holistic development of the children though Katha Relevant Education for All Round Development-KREAD with excellent amalgamation of academic, vocational and life skills imparted to all children.
• Katha Lab School is the test-bed for Katha’s innovations in education and Story Pedagogy© is the finest product replicated in more than 1000 government schools and over 1100 slums in Delhi.
• Katha Lab School is also the hub for Katha’s Teacher Training program has trained over 17000 teachers.
Katha School Quality Enhancement Program (KSQEP), is a school adoption program run through Government-Partnership School model, Katha aims to transform government schools and revitalize the quality of primary government schools with the objective of ensuring each child, especially the most disadvantaged, an excellent education comparable to the best private or public schools.
South Ex-II, Hari Nagar Ashram, and Kilokri Tank; three of the five adopted schools have recently been awarded the ‘Best School’ in South Delhi Municipal Corporation, Central Zone.
I Love Reading (ILR): The Delhi Government signed an MOU with Katha to take Katha’s I Love Reading Campaign to 600 municipal schools and 800 slum communities and has impacted over 12,00,000 children and over 4,000 teachers. This innovative reading and school transformation program aims to increase the effectiveness of elementary education. ILR is based on Katha’s proven education and teacher training methods that we have developed, tested and refined over the last 30 years. Katha uses its internationally acclaimed storybooks to engage children in reading and to help teachers tackle some of the most pressing issues in India such as poverty and inequality, and to enable sustainable change.
Teacher Training: Under Teacher Training program, Katha also works with all school teachers and principals, for Creative Teaching and work on solutions collectively to overcome the challenges faced within the institution of education. Teachers of the government schools are training StoryPedagogy to enhance the classroom teaching.
Slum Resurgence Initiative: Katha runs various other community programmes and workshops, involving life-skills, financial, literacy and livelihood skills and (SHE)2 workshops for women, youth and young girls. Katha also organizes the Mothers‟ Associations (Ma Mandala), whereby women are empowered to take on advocacy roles for their respective communities.
KATHA’S IMPACT FROM 1988 to 2019:
• Reached over 98, 49,000 children throughout India through its books and Tamasha! magazine.
• Covered 1142 schools and 1157 communities (urban slums, rural and tribal)
• Trained over 21,000 teachers and 5, 00,000 community women.
• Reached out to 1, 91,190 children through Katha Lab School.
• Published and sold over 20, 00,000 books in Hindi and English. 124 recommended by CBSE and NCERT and 13 titles procured by Director of Education, Delhi. Many have won awards.
AWARDS AND RECOGNITIONS
• Business Standard Award 2018
• Winner of the mBillionth South Asia Award 2018, for "leveraging innovation in storytelling and creating India's first mobile reading application."
• Winner of GuideStar Platinum certificate for Transparency and Accountability 2018
• India's only nomination in Learning and Education category, as "Best and most innovative digital program in India" for the United Nations World Summit Award 2018
• Winner of 20th Polestar Award for Social Impact in Education 2018
• Winner of the Millennium Alliance Award in 2013 (USAID and Government of India) for its innovative I Love Reading Campaign.
• Winner of ICICI India Inclusive Award 2012 in the Elementary Education Impact Category.
• North India Winner of the 2009 India NGO Award by the Rockefeller Foundation and Resource Alliance for transparency, accountability and quality work.
• Katha has been nominated five times for the world’s most coveted award in children’s literature – the Astrid Lindgren Memorial Award.