If you have claimed this cause, and have confirmed your identity, you can sign in now with your user name and password and start managing your donations and volunteering.
To engage the audience and artistic community by continuously redefining the ways artists and audience members make and appreciate theatre.
About This Cause
“The purpose of Nine Years Theatre is to enable more people to do more things.”
-- Artistic Director, Nelson Chia
Nine Years Theatre is a Singapore Mandarin theatre company co-founded by Nelson Chia and Mia Chee. The company focuses on the re-imagination of classic work and the creation of new work.Our Mandarin productions (with surtitles) have attracted audiences from all language backgrounds with their consistency in quality and a cultural sensibility in translation and adaptation. We also collaborate with local and international arts groups in cross-cultural and cross-disciplinary work.
We believe in actor training. Our works are therefore often being described as grounded in the actors' art. We are the only company in Singapore that works with an ensemble of actors that train regularly on a long-term basis via systematic methods. Furthermore, we also share these training methods and philosophy with the community through classes and open training platforms. Under artistic director Nelson’s leadership, the NYT Ensemble is currently developing a performance approach known as the “The Paradoxical Body: The NYT Actors’ Work”.
In order to engage our audience beyond our productions, the company has continuously explored various ways of holding dialogue sessions with them. Our efforts are rooted in the belief that audiences should not merely consume art, but be offered the opportunity to discuss art.
Nine Years Theatre Ltd. is a charity with IPC status. Nine Years Theatre is supported by the National Arts Council under the Major Company Scheme for the period from 1 April 2019 to 31 March 2022.
- To build the NYT Ensemble - a company of full-time actors that train regularly and create work in an ensemble environment.
- To create high quality stage productions that are consistent, grounded and integral.
- To study, develop, share and champion the notion and practice of systematic actor training.
- To engage the audience in the discussion of art.
- To continuously develop new modes, methods and models in creation, training and audience engagement.
- To build and promote a Singapore presence on international platforms.