by HEART AND HOME COLLABORATIVE
***April 30 update: Since March 15, Heart and Home has raised $29,000 of the needed #32,000 to operate our extension, including a $10,000 grant from the City of Palo Alto, $4,380 in Benevity donations to our organization, and $15,000 in individual donations outside of Benevity. On April 29, 2020, the County of Santa Clara extended and modified the Shelter in Place order with a new expiration date of May 31, 2020. We are now seeking to continue the Heart and Home 24-hour shelter operations through the end of the revised Shelter in Place order with a two-week transition afterwards. This means we still need to raise an additional $12,800 for the new 4-week extension. Our operating costs are currently $36 per shelter participant per night which allows thirteen vulnerable women to stay safe during COVID-19. We are grateful for all the support we have received so far and are operating in the hope this community support will continue.****
[Below you will find the original description of the Project to expand shelter hours and lengthen our Heart and Home shelter season during the COVID-19 posted 18 April 2020 - maryw + H+H Board]
Under usual circumstances, Heart and Home Collaborative provides seasonal winter shelter for fifteen unhoused women in the greater Palo Alto community. We partner with Palo Alto houses of faith to provide sleeping space, meals, and community in a professionally staffed environment from 7pm-7am.
In light of the COVID-19 Shelter in Place order, and with the support of our host church partners at Unitarian Universalist Church of Palo Alto (UUCPA), Heart and Home has stepped up to offer safe Shelter in Place housing 24 hours a day to our participants, with the intention of extending our weeks of service to match the Santa Clara County Shelter in Place order.
We have developed a plan to address the needs of our participants, and protect the larger community from further spread of the virus.
- expand daily staffed hours of operation from 12 to 20, with volunteers from our host location on site for the remaining 4 hours of the day.
- extend weeks of operation. Our 2020 shelter season was scheduled to end April. We have approval from the Palo Alto Planning Department to continue operating for an additional 6 weeks, through mid-May.
- staff to receive training on cleaning and sanitizing protocols, and monitor participants and volunteers for compliance
- rearranging sleeping areas to allow for proper adherence to social and physical distancing orders
- increase shower and laundry services
- purchasing additional cleaning and sanitizing supplies, and training volunteers, staff, and participants in proper usage to reduce the spread of infection
- provide 3 meals per day, and clean drinking water
- monitoring participants for COVID-19 symptoms, including temperature checks
- obtaining tablets to connect participants with their Case Managers
We began offering extended shelter as soon as it was needed and have already incurred approximately $4,700 in unanticipated virus-related costs between March 13 and April 4. Looking forward, we will need to cover approximately $24,900 in staffing costs from April 4 to May 15 and $3000 in supplies, leading to our total need of $32,000 to operate through May 15th.
Donation DeadlineMonday, Jun 15, 2020
Project Location1611 Stanford Ave,